Rug Master Underlays
This premium quality, pre-packed floor rug underlay is suitable for use on carpets, ceramic tile, concrete, wood, laminate, and vinyl floors. Pre-cut to standard floor rug sizes, Rug Master is easy to install, and made to high product-quality Germany standards.
We recommend using Rug Master with most handwoven rugs, specifically lighter weight and less stable rugs, and where the rug has no fabric backing or is heavily dyed.
For more information on the Rug Master range, download our brochure.
Rug Master benefits
- Prevents floor rugs slipping, creeping or bunching on most floor surfaces.
- Prolongs floor rug life by helping support the structure of the rug.
- Provides extra cushioning.
- Avoids colour transfer from heavily dyed rugs onto flooring.
- Does not stain or leave adhesive residue.
- Suitable for use with underfloor heating.
- Stops abrasion on timber or delicate floors.
- Free of harmful substances - phlalate free and Oeko-Tex certified.
- Made in Germany to high-quality standards.
- STEP 1 - Floor should be vacuumed, clean and dry before application.
- STEP 2 - If needed, cut to size with household scissors or a utility knife.
- STEP 3 - Position rug underlay on the floor where you intend to place the rug.
- STEP 4 - Use as many pieces as required to cover the size of your rug.
- STEP 5 - Roll or lift the rug onto the underlay, working out any lumps.
Why should you use a rug underlay?
Just like the underlay beneath a wall-to-wall carpet, a rug underlay assists to safeguard your rugs from wear and tear by absorbing the bulk of the effect of foot traffic. The underlay is intended to compress and rebound back (even a firm one will do this to some extent) which takes the tension off of the rug fibres. Without underlay to act as a shock absorber, the rug fibres will be trampled and the rug will display warnings of wear much earlier than it would with a proper underlay.
Sand, soil and grit are the main culprits for premature wear in rugs, and even with the best cleaning practices sand, soil and grit work their way into the foundation of the rug and to the surface below, causing premature wear. Installing underlay beneath your rug allows these soils to collect in the underlay rather than your valuable rug.
A good rug underlay holds the rug to prevent it from slipping. Rugs that are secured by furniture can move, making them buckle and bunch up, and generating tripping risks. Rug underlays assist in keeping the rug sitting level and in one position. Choose underlays aimed explicitly at placing a rug over hard surface flooring or laying a rug over wall-to-wall carpet. Not all underlays are the same.
Helps with stains
When you have a spill or if your pet has an accident on your rug, more often than not the spill or the urine will penetrate the rug and pool on the surface under the rug meaning that even though the stain on the surface of the rug may only be 5-10cm round, the stain on the back may be 2-3 times larger. By installing underlay, the stain will travel through the rug causing less damage.
Protect the Floor Underneath
Irrespective of the kind of floor under your area rug, it’s necessary to protect it. Rug backings can on occasion be coarse, which can cause scuffs and abrasions on hardwood and other types of hard floor surfaces. Other risks that lie on the flooring beneath include colour transfer from the rug, the possibility of a minute pebble or another jagged item being trapped beneath the rug, and aggressive wear and tear on the surface of the flooring caused by the area rug slipping with foot traffic.